Monday, October 24, 2016

Week 103 - Last email

"The best companion ever"

Hey everybody!

Well I've been sitting here for about five minutes now trying to think of the words that could possibly do justice to the last two years of my life. Trying to wrap up all the experiences, memories, and lessons learned is honestly one of the hardest things I've had to do on my mission. It's been one crazy adventure and I could sit here writing for hours and I wouldn't be able to fully explain everything I've been able to take away from my mission. It's been such an amazing blessing to serve as a missionary of the Lord Jesus Christ, to represent His name, and His church. The simple fact that He would trust someone as insignificant and inadequate as me to preach His glorious gospel is something I don't think I will ever be able to understand or explain. He has given me the chance to be a part of something much bigger than myself and has let me feel the joy and happiness that comes from seeing the changes in the lives of other people, as well as my own. I've seen how His love and peace can soften even the hardest of hearts and lift even the lowest of spirits. I'll never forget the moments on my mission when I have been a personal witness to the power of the atonement in the lives of those around me. I know it's real and has the power to take away all our burdens and pains, leaving the sweet assurance of His peace, and giving us the chance to then share that with those in need. 

Like I said a few weeks ago after conference, I never knew it would be possible to be so happy in my life. I've felt a greater happiness than ever before, and I've been able to learn how to keep that happiness alive even when things get tough and it seems like the whole world has turned against me. Happiness isn't the end result of external factors, but rather an internal decision taken regardless of the surrounding circumstances. Even when every appointment fell through that day or even when every dog just had to bark at us as we passed by, or even when the rain started just as my umbrella broke, the Lord has replaced those feelings of disappointment and frustration with the simple idea that everything will be all right. That even though things seem so dark, if I can just hold out, it'll get brighter. I mean it really is that simple. Every challenge we go through is only temporary, so why stress? Why worry about it? The Lord will never let us be tested beyond what we can bear, so if we can just bear it a little longer, He will eventually help us. He has taught me through many trials that if I will trust in Him and bear my afflictions with patience, He will bless me. Something that President Hayes has taught me is that the Lord tests us to be able to teach us and that if we aren't tested, we can never progress in this life. So instead of complaining when the tough times roll around, we should rejoice with the knowledge that after this test, we'll be better than we were before. 

I know without a doubt that this is the work of the Lord. There's nothing I would have rather done these last 24 months than be a missionary. He lives and loves us and if we trust in Him, He can work miracles in our lives. I know because that's what He has done for me. I still have a lot of work to do, He's not done molding me yet, but I know that as I rely on Him, He will slowly change me into the person He needs me to be. 

I want to thank everyone who has supported me throughout these last two years. All the prayers, letters, and emails have made a bigger impact than most of you will ever know. I never could have done this without you. I love you all so much. Thank you for the love and support in all the ups and downs. I can't wait to see you all again!

Elder Hansen

"My biggest homies in the mission" 

"Elder Vasquez and Muñoz (my replacement)"

PS - Got to say goodbye to my good friend Elder Hangsen. Great guy, except for that extra "G" in his name. Gonna really miss him.




No comments:

Post a Comment